Friday, September 24, 2010

Week in Review 9/20-9/24 (Week 4)

We thankfully had another great week of school here. We had a little busier week as we went on a field trip to a castle with some friends, family, and fellow homeschoolers (maybe I’ll post about that later when I have more time).

This week I’m just going to wrap-up only what we’ve done in Heart of Dakota.

In the science plans we had two fun experiments that John and Gracie both wanted to do repeatedly. One we predicted whether things would block light or allow the light to travel through it.

DSC00828

The next experiment had to do with surface tension. Here we also predicted how many drops of water would fit on the surface of a coin. I’ll tell you they were much closer in their predictions than I was. John was actually only one away.

DSC00830

In geography we talked about the directions, on a compass including some of the trickier ones like northwest and southeast.

DSC00839

We have so much fun memorizing our week's Bible verses the Heart of Dakota way. It includes so many actions it’s just bound to be fun. I was a little doubtful that they’d have all their verses memorized from this week, but they did. They memorized Matthew 6:19-21. Gracie is definitely more auditory and so picks up on these so quickly.

DSC00840

In the history plans this week we continued reading in the Stories of the Pilgrims. The pilgrims left England for Holland. I must have some gaps in my education :) as I don’t remember learning about the pilgrims going to Holland before coming to the new world. I’ve definitely been enlightened.

Even though it wasn’t necessary, we got online to view pictures of present day Holland. It’s very beautiful. We also saw videos online of the huge windmills.

DSC00841

When learning about Holland, we learned it is actually below sea level. We all enjoyed building a dike in the bathroom sink. Granny was over and even got in on the hands on learning.

DSC00906

We added to our timelines that the Pilgrims arrived in Holland in 1608. I’m so loving the way Heart of Dakota does this as well. In the past I’ve always wanted to do a timeline with John and Gracie, but have always felt overwhelmed and implementing it. HOD’s way makes it easy-peasy.

DSC00842

Our poem this week that we memorized and John used for copywork was entitled Daybreak by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. This poem was so easy to add hand motions and dramatize our voices on. Daddy even got in on the action in the evening. I think he should start teaching the poems. I’m not nearly as dramatic as he is.

DSC00908

Gracie finished up her first Emerging Readers book from the Heart of Dakota schedule. She’s such a great little reader. Even I felt some of the well known Bible stories were maybe revealed in a different light to this momma. The Lord used some of the stories to convict me. Owl at Home here we come.

DSC00903

Today we finished up our Biography, Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin. We all loved this book. To be honest, none of us liked the very last chapter, I guess because it just ended. Gracie says it’s because Grimalkin wasn’t in it. We read one chapter each day and every single day both children would ask me to read more (and I wanted to read more as well, but I was a good girl and didn’t). So despite the above criticism, we loved the book. I’m super excited about starting our new adventure book next week.

Gracie’s (Age 6) Narration of a chapter in Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin: There was going to be a lot of people coming to Door Latch Inn. Benjamin and the others were getting ready for the people, and when they came, there were thousands and when each one came in they shook Benjamin’s hand or nodded their head, and then when all the people got in, Papa pulled in the latch string so no one else could get in. And, we stopped.

This post is linked to:

HOD’s Weekly Check In

Weekly Wrap-Up

The Heart of Dakota Blogroll

13 comments:

cooperkelly4 said...

love seeing the photos of your kids. lol, we have that same
Bible! =0)

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Looks like you're having fun! We love geography, too!

Our Family for His Glory said...

What a fun week!! I love their smiles! So precious!
Jessica

Unknown said...

Oh what a fun time! I need to learn more creativity I think!

Joelle said...

Looks like a great week too. You are making me curious about Heart of Dakota. Great job!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I've never heard of Benjamin West. It sounds like a story my girls might enjoy. HOD sounds like a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

We also enjoyed the Benjamin West book.

Kimberly Eddy said...

Don't feel bad, Edwena, I didn't remember the bit about the pilgrims going to Holland either.

I've never read that particular bio of Benjamin West, but a few years ago we read a biography of Benjamin West, and it was very interesting. We love Biographies.

Jenny said...

You went on some fun rabbit trails. I did not know about the Holland visit, either. Don't you love how much WE learn from homeschooling our kids? I've never heard of that curriculum - off to Google it now.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good fit with Heart of Dakota. I had some friends looking at it too. (It really does look wonderful.) We are doing GTG this year along with some HSS stuff.

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

What a fabulous week!!

It's always so encouraging for me to read others homeschooling journies. Thank you so much for sharing.

Have a blessed night.

Dee said...

LOL! I remember thinking the same thing about the Pilgrims in Holland when we read that very same book! We read a great book after that, I don't remember the title correctly, but I think it was called, The Wheels on the School. It was about children in Holland trying to bring storks back to their village, a sweet story.

Looks like you had a blessed week! Thank you for praying for me!

:) :) :)

Unknown said...

Wow. Lots accomplished. Love the smiling faces interspersed among the details.

The B. West book is one that I'd love to read. It's still not in our library. So many books... so little time...