We had another wonderful week of school. I truly find myself thinking through out the day how happy I am. In the past with school I would feel so overwhelmed. I have not felt that at all this year. I think we’re all enjoying ourselves so much.
I’ve come to realize that I really like things planned out for me. I’m one of those gals who like to have a list and check it off. I guess that’s why Heart of Dakota is working so well for us. I love the living books, and short lessons that leave all three of us wanting to do more.
Math:
John has continued with multiplication. This week he’s learned the 2 facts and has covered that a quart is equal to 2 pints. He of course wanted to prove this hands on and we did.
Gracie’s Math lesson had her memorizing the color of the manipulatives. She continued to write from 0 to 20 and review place value.
English:
John continued learning about phrases and sentences with an emphasis still on capitalizing the first word of a sentence and using the proper punctuation.
Science:
John took his first science final this week and received a 100%. YEAH!!! He started his next unit and it’s going to be all about plants which he loves by the way. Daddy is going to start his experiment with him tomorrow.
Spelling:
John flew through book one of AAS and has completed the first 2 lessons in level 2.
Gracie did several steps in book one of AAS and will start step 10 on Monday.
Composer Study:
We finished our study of Haydn using Coloring the Classics. I just love this resource. John and Gracie would do it everyday if I would let them. They are really starting to connect the dots with the composers.
Artist Study:
We started our artist study for the very first time this week. We are using Barb’s Plans. I printed 6 of his paintings on photo paper and put one in a frame this week. Both John and Gracie seemed to enjoy this as much as I did. We started reading a book from the library entitled Edgar Degas:Paintings that Dance.
Heart of Dakota: Both Children
Science: We learned about how bees pollinate flowers and did a simple and fun experiment that you can see in the photo above. We also did another experiment learning how different colors absorb light.
Read Aloud: We continued reading Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin. We continued talking about responsibility and the character of the story. They both drew pictures of Benjamin West and his favorite things. I didn’t get a picture of it :( Everyday they ask me to read more.
Poetry: We all memorized Uphill by Christina Georgina Rossetti. We even talked how if the Lord blessed us with a baby girl that we all liked the name so well that we could easily have a Christina Georgina. Must have something to do with that Italian blood they have in them. They love to incorporate hand motions when memorizing their poem.
Bible: Memorized I John 4:15-16 and had many talks on loving God and others.
Song: Learned the song, Can You Imagine?
History: We continue to read in The Stories of the Pilgrims, and learned of their trouble with King James in England. This has really opened my eyes to some things. In our home, we love the King James version of the Bible. It’s amazing how the Lord can use someone to do something so good even though that person doesn’t have everything right and straight. In a way I was sad to learn how King James didn’t allow others to have freedom to worship God in the way they believed the Bible taught them to. On the other hand it reminded me that God just doesn’t use the perfect. I know I will never be perfect, yet He can still use me. We had some great discussions about King James.
In the photos above you can see John and Gracie enjoying a fun game found in the HOD manual. It went along with our history lessons. To say the least they both ended up in prison because they would not obey King James’ law and worship in his church.
Below you can see a picture of John’s copywork of the poem Uphill that we memorized. I love his road that winds all the way uphill.
The Lord has been so good to us so far in our school year. I’m just so awed by his grace.
This post is linked to:




3 comments:
You all look like you had a fun week. Yay! I've never heard of Heart of Dakota. I'm going to check into it.
Yay! Edwena!!!! I am so happy for you. I have to say I feel the exact same way. I know that each year I have been directed by the Lord, but I have found myself just so much more at peace throughout the day. I know it is partly because things are all planned out for me this year with very minimal additions on my part. Loving the Lord's leading. =0)
Hurray for another good week! I find myself thinking the same thing(s) about using Heart of Dakota- it makes my days so much easier!! I really enjoyed seeing the poetry copywork & the picture he drew- what a great job! :)
Jessica
Post a Comment