Sunday, February 24, 2008

Scripture Memory With Children

One of my goals as a mother is to hide God's Word in my children's hearts. There are two ways that we implement this in our house. The children receive memory verses from Sunday School. Each of them receives a different verse because they are different classes. It's amazing how they both pick up on the other's verses without much effort at all.

1) Right now we use this Scripture Memory System http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/ It is my goal that my children memorize verses and keep it with them, not just to get a sticker in Sunday School. This system has helped me keep up on that. I just repeat each new verse three times in the morning and each older verse one time each morning. I'm not talking about repeating every old verse every morning. Make sure you check out the link for more details.

2) We are also using the wonderful books from Thy Word Creations http://www.thywordcreations.com/Childrens.htm So far the children have memorized Psalm 23 and we are currently working on Isaiah 53. We have also purchased The Ten Commandments and The Lord's Prayer also.

John and Gracie love these books. When we're not memorizing they will ask to get them out. The music and spirit about the CD's is so sweet. John and Gracie have quoted their verses and sang the songs at our church as well as the nursing home ministry that we are part of. My praying that it is a blessing to others as well as an example of how it can be easy to memorize verses with a little effort.

Now for my part. My dear husband preached a sermon recently on the importance of memorizing God's Word, so now I have my own Memory Verse Box. There are some things that I struggle with and memorizing the Word and dwelling on those verses has been such a help to me. Let's remember what God says in, Psalm 119:11, "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."

Lastly, I wanted to say, this is not a drudgery, but such a joy for my dear children. I know that there are differing opinons on this, but if it were a drudgery, I do believe I would implement some kind of an award system. If you try and do this keep it as a joy and something to look forward to. Don't forget to praise your dear ones when they try so hard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keep up the good work, i love to hear my grandbabies quote verses it blesses my heart in way you could not imagine, i am very proud of the mamma you have become. love Mom.