Tuesday, February 26, 2008

An Idea I Had

Last week we went to the Dayton Air Force Museum and Amos wanted to purchase John a model airplane. While they finished up in the museum I headed to the gift shop. I found the Skill 1 models after awhile, but had no idea what to purchase Gracie. Most of the stuff was geared for boys.

I continued to hunt and found a book for Gracie. She loves to read. Here is what I bought her. The Curious George book with the tape cost $9.95. I normally would not spend this much, but couldn't find anything else. I'm sure glad I got it though. She listened to it 3 times in a row the first night when we got home.

They both really loved it to be truthful so I put several books on hold at the library that I know they love that come with a cassette tape or CD. They just love it. Now I should say that I'm not using this as a substitute for reading out loud to them. We still read aloud for about one hour a day.

I got to thinking that maybe we need some more books on tape around here, but for $9.95 they weren't going to be getting many from daddy and momma. So here's my idea: I could make up some books on cassette. I'm going to take some of their favorite books and read the stories on cassette. I'm going to use a little bell or whistle when it's time to turn the page as neither one of the children read yet. Plus I think it's sweet that it's my voice and it's something that we can always save.

There's more though. They are listening to the tapes on this. Amos doesn't understand why I don't let them just use the stereo. The little cassette player uses batteries, but thanks to CVS we got a ton of free batteries and I'm not so worried about it. Plus I would have loved to have one of these when I was little. It just makes you feel so big and grown up.

No comments: