This is our first week back since the Holidays. I think the only hiccups we had were it seemed I had to remind Gracie a lot to get busy. By the end of the week, I was really having to remind myself to be gracious, then I realized that it was our first week back and that this probably goes along with not doing school for 2 weeks.Math- John spent time learning to measure inches and use his ruler. Gracie is just starting with simple addition.
Spell to Write and Read- We all enjoyed a new phonogram game. Daddy even joined us playing, even though he's not familiar with all the different phonograms, but he did a great job.
Unit Study- We just started Galloping the Globe. We weren't enjoying our previous history studies, so I made the switch. Why be miserable the rest of the year? We really enjoyed using Geography Songs to help memorize the continents and oceans. John already knew them, but not Gracie. I'd say by day 3 she had them memorized. To be honest, I didn't know quite where all the oceans were, so this even helped out momma. Super fun. John is really enjoying using this geography book as well. We also learned a ton about Columbus. More than I ever remembered from school. We had fun playing this game as well.
Science- John continued on with his studies on Astronomy.
Read aloud- I read aloud Beautiful Feet Books: Columbus. The pictues in this book are beautiful.
I've been working on inspiring John to want to read more. I don't know. He loves to write his own books, etc. and will read to me whenever asked without complaint, but never just books up a book on his own to read unless it's to do with space and plants. So I've been determined to change that. I've laminated this reading chart and bought this bookmark timer and he's read 8 books in one week. This momma is super happy. Guess I just needed to inspire him some.
We didn't make it to our art and music like I'd hoped, but hopefully next week. Plus the kids have been playing in all the beautiful snow we've gotten and John has been praying for more.
This is our first week joining the Weekly Wrap up at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers . It was fun reviewing what we've done.




3 comments:
I'm glad you joined the Weekly Wrap-Up this week! Sounds like a great week. I love the bookmark timer. I may have to see about getting one of those for each of my kiddos. We could definitely stand some more inspired reading. Thanks for the link.
Sounds like a great week! I always love it when Dad joins in too!
We've always sent our children to bed a little earlier with the promise that they can stay up for 30-60 minutes longer IF they are reading. Has really worked in our family & helped both children develop a love for reading.
Thanks for commenting on my blog! We bought the vocabulary workbook for DragonFly online at Lakeshore Learning. Here's a link to it.
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|2534374302098495~~.jsp
Post a Comment