
This is my first time joining Tightwad Tuesday. My tip is to buy your banans when they're discounted. I've gotten bananas for 5 cents a pound before. At first I was peeling them and putting them in freezer bags. This is a great idea if you want to use them in a smoothie.
Since it's winter though I use bananas much more in baking. Just throw the whole banana peel and all in a freezer bag, then you can thaw them on the counter when you want to use them to bake. They look disgusting, but they just slide right out of the peel once it's opened. We use them a ton to make banana chocolate chip muffins and banana bread.
When you have a banana that's overly ripe, just throw it into your bag with frozen bananas. No waste at all. This way you won't have to buy bananas for baking and wait for them to ripen up. You can bake with bananas on the spur of the moment.




7 comments:
I have done the same thing with bananas. It's nice to have them already ripened when I need them.
We have a very tame squirrel who will eat out of our hand. We also share ripe bananas with him. He's getting quite fat too!
Great post, I blogged about the same thing a few weeks ago, lol. A few people told me they freeze them with a bit of lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Mine don't seem to turn brown, but it could help someone else :).
Welcome to Tightwad Tuesday! I always end up throwing bananas in my freezer; but I never end up using them. I need to figure out how to remember! Thanks,
Amy B
Good idea! I've thrown getting-too-ripe bananas in the freezer but rarely buy them that way at the store, but it is a good frugal idea to do that!
Denise
Thanks for sharing this tip. We only like to eat bananas when they are still a bit green. (We force them down, but...) Now, I know what to do with the,. Glad you joined us for tightwad Tuesday.
That's a great tip Edwena!
Thanks for the tip. I am going to the produce market soon and will remember that if I find bananas on sale. I use them for smoothies so seems like I got thru ALOT. haha
Nichole
http://blog.handmadebycole.com/
Post a Comment