Friday, October 1, 2010

Week in Review 9/27-10/1 (Week 5)

DSC00910

Okay, the photo above has nothing to do with our week necessarily, but I thought the kids were really sweet. My post is mainly what we did with Heart of Dakota with a few extras at the end. We are continuing to chug along with our regular studies even though I’m not posting specifics on them.

This week we introduced a new genre of book: the Adventure. To kick it off, we did a treasure hunt of sorts. I took a 24 piece puzzle and wrote a message on the back of it giving a clue where the treasure could be found.

DSC00914

I then hid the puzzle pieces throughout the living room and dining room. John and Gracie had such a fun time finding the pieces. They then had to put the puzzle together.

DSC00921

The back of the puzzle read: The treasure can be found ________. Hint: I keep things cold and I am pretty small.

DSC00922

Their first guess was the refrigerator, but knew it wasn’t small. They then thought maybe our window air conditioner, but didn’t know how treasure could fit in there. Then John remembered the small refrigerator in the basement. Can you see his smile in the photo below?

DSC00923

They each got a small piece of candy and our book was in there as well. Our new adventure book we’re reading is A Lion to Guard Us. We’ve been talking about fearing the Lord and conflict with this book.

DSC00925

In our science plans, we talked about how sound travels through the air like waves.

DSC00928

We also talked about how amazing our hearts are. John and Gracie pumped their hands for 30 seconds and soon found that they were tired. Our God is amazing and our hearts beat without us even thinking about it and the heart never grows tired.

DSC00979

Our poem we memorized this week was Song for a Little House by Christopher Morley. Heart of Dakota suggests cutting the poem apart, mixing it up, and allowing the the child to past it back in order. I’ve actually never done this with John and Gracie (blush), because I thought they wouldn’t enjoy it. When I asked if they wanted to do it, they both enthusiastically answered yes.

DSC00939 In the history plans this week we read Boys and Girls of Colonial Days and Stories of the Pilgrims. We really like these books. It really brings the history to life. This weeks focus was the pilgrims settling in Holland. We learned much about the Dutch homes (how they are different than our own) and that they loved tulips.DSC00931

We memorized Psalm 139:13-14, “For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.”

John finished reading Bears on Hemlock Mountain. Each day he was asking to read more. We have one more book to read before we start Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. He’s ready now and has been, but I just want to ease our way into it.

DSC00981

Gracie wrote her name in cursive this week. This is the first time she’s written it with a capital “G”. We’re officially learning the capital letters in cursive now. She’s doing so well. She’s making it easy on me :)

DSC00930

In John’s separate science program, he was learning about seeds and plants. You can see our bean seeds were a success. It’s amazing because you can see the tiny roots on these plants. Again our God is great!!!DSC00935

This post is linked to:

HOD’s Weekly Check-in

Weekly Wrap-Up

HOD Blogroll

7 comments:

Our Family for His Glory said...

Your kids are so cute- I really like that first picture of them too! :) What a fun week you've had!
Jessica

Kimberly Eddy said...

Cute kids, Edwena!!

Cursive G's were always so hard for my kids, but your dd seems to be doing well with it.

love hearing about your week.

Heather Hart said...

Your tulips turned out WAY better than ours!! Great job! Next year when we do this activity I now have a better idea of how to do it. I'm so glad you posted pics!!!

cooperkelly4 said...

love the top photo of your kids!!!

If there is a HOD list of blogs you should add yours. I'll bet lots of homeschooling Moms would appreciate the sneak peeks you are providing. =0) I love that you are enjoying it so much. Got to love God's leading. =0)

Krissy said...

Looks like you all had a great week!!! Loved the puzzle hunt!!

Your little girl's handwriting is so pretty!!!

Have a blessed week!!

wdworkman said...

I just loved HOD when my son was younger. Looks like you all had a fun week.
Janet W
http://homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

Kattie said...

The puzzle hunt was a great idea! Look like you guys had a great time!