Friday, January 9, 2009

Teaching Children to Work

I've always thought it's important to teach children to work. My philosophy is that if they've always done it even when they weren't much help, they would have more of a chance to do it happily when they are a big help. If you wait too long when they can be a help, then they'll have an attitude wondering who you are asking for help. For example, a two year is not going to be able to unload a dishwasher, but she can sort things. Right? Our children have always unloaded the silverware from the dishwasher basket (excluding sharp objects) and they really have enjoyed it. Plus it helps them with their sorting skills. :) My kiddos just come when I call and say it's time to unload the dishwasher. We don't usually wash dishes by hand, but at times there's some left over and I'll wash them by hand. John saw me about ready to wash the dishes. He told me he wanted to help. I needed to scrub the sink first, and he told me he'd do that too. John is a big help to me. He'll help me with whatever I ask. He's a big help to his sister too. Many times Gracie will call for her brother when she needs help. I know he's not the momma or daddy, but one day I think he'll make a good daddy and husband.
The picture above is of my granny's (my great-grandma) thinga-ma-bob. I don't know what you call it. She use to put her rings and necklaces on it. I juse it for my brush and scrubber. I know, it sounds terrible, but this way I use it everyday and can think of her and it's not just collecting dust in my bedroom. John told me he wanted it when I die. :) Gracie then pipes up saying she wants it too.
We sing a lot when we work. We listen to music. We work TOGETHER. It's a lot of fun. In the picture above John was dancing around with his Shaklee cleaning cloth singing, "He Gives Me Joy". It is a joy to work with my children. I made up a little song for my kids when they work with me. I know you can't hear the tune (and it's original), but here are the words.
"John's a hard worker bee, zzzz.
He works so happily, zzzz.
He loves to help mommy.
John's a hard worker bee,zzzzzzzzzzzz."
Here's his job well done. I should give Gracie credit for the bowl. She washed it for about ten minutes, I think.
Growing up we never had a hand vac like this and to be honest I thought people who did were rich. I don't need a hand vac, but my kiddos do. Gracie is sweeping up tortilla chip crumbs off the couch. She loves it!!!
My ultimate favorite household machine is the Swiffer Sweeper. Click on that link too, it's for a money back guarantee if you want to try the Swiffer out and you don't like it. I use it every single day in my kitchen and hall. John sweeps the very tiny bit of tile inside the front door with it everyday. Does it need done everyday? Probably not, but it gives him something to do when I'm busy working.

I have more thoughts on children working. My children know that they are a help to our household. I tell them so. They know they are valued and that they have purpose. I don't have to pump them up with some false self-esteem mumbo jumbo. I tell them that they are my "Big Helpers" I tell them I'm not as tired as I would be if I had to do all this work by myself and it's true.
Now is their work perfect or is as good as I would do? Not at all. They're in training for real life and we're having fun at the same time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I heartily agree with you! My oldest two (3&4) empty the DW (I take out sharp things first!) and vacuum the kitchen every morning as their chore. They rarely complain, just know it's their special job. It's a great way to teach them that work can be fun - all while instilling the value of responsibility!

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend!

I LOVE this post. You have such a sweetness about you. I am so proud of you and your kids. What a fabulous job you're doing my friend!

Debbie said...

Totally agreeing with what you wrote. Had to laugh...we make our boys use the Swiffer too!

Anonymous said...

Great job momma!

Chandorf1215 said...

ahhh child labor.... so nice. LOL are they for rent? You know aunt NeNe will pay good... for all the "dirty" work!!

Momma_photobug said...

Beautiful Blog. My 2yo LOVES to do dishes and I know that she doesn't actually clean them, but it's the thought that counts:) I love the hand vac--my kiddos need one as well.

Melissa said...

Great post! We love our swiffer too...

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Edwina, for a great post and for some sweet memories! Back when dd was 2 and 3, she used to empty the silverware from the dishwasher for me, too. Somehow, she decided it was not really her and silverware, but Sleeping Beauty picking berries for the fairies--she always did it with a high-pitched voice of sweetness and a very happy heart!

She's not Sleeping Beauty, anymore, but as you say, she can do the whole load now and doesn't balk or fuss at it--and it does help a lot.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I'm so glad you wrote it. I need to do a better job in training some of my younger ones. Well, one in particular. You are doing a great job!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm enjoying yours and look forward to coming back! :-)

Blessings,
Leslie