I participate on two homeschool forums and many people are talking about a word for the year. In a way it's like a resolution, but something that you focus on throughout the whole year. It's meant to allow the Lord to work in you. I had been praying for a word. It seems there are millions of words that I need to work on. Do you ever feel that way? Sometimes I am just so overwhelmed with my own sin nature. It's just a good reminder of the goodness of God.
Anyway, after praying for a week, we were listening to the John Marshall Family. They sing a song entitled He Gives Me Joy. I began to cry when I was singing and I know that this is what the Lord wants me to focus on for the year-JOY.
To be honest, I am a very serious turned person. I am not bubbly, hopping around singing praises all the time. I am thoughtful and contemplative. There are days where I wish I could be in someone else's body for a day just to get a break from my heavy thoughts. I am not wishing to be someone else. I know the Lord created me to be who I am and though more bubbly personalities may be more popular that's just not who I am.
When I speak of joy, I am not talking about just being happy. I'm talking about joy that's found in God's Word. I'm talking about joy that abides when things are tough. I love what John 16:22 says, "And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again,and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you." The joy that God gives no man can take from me.
I love the following little acronym.
J-Jesus
O-Others
Y-Yourself
I will be studying joy in the Bible and posting my thoughts on it in a regular manner. I think it will be good for me to type up my thoughts.
My prayer:"Lord, thank you so much for your grace. Please give me the joy that only You can. Help me to be yielded to You that I may be a blessing to others and that You might be glorified."
Monday, January 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Praying that the Lord will fill you with His joy this year, Edwena.
So glad you're here again! And wow, you and I are SO much alike! Every time I read something new about you, I have to almost laugh, because I can always relate. REALLY relate. :-) I have been thinking about this same thing, and my prayer for the year is that the Lord will enable me to truly DELIGHT in Him and His Word. Hence, I'll have joy!!! Praying He'll do the same for you, and I look forward to seeing how He works in our lives in the year to come.
Many blessings, dear sister in Christ!
SIS,
I am glad you are writing again your words have always and continue to inspire me. YOu are not as bad as you think, and if I could just be the type of mother, wife, person, and Christian you are I would consider myself very lucky. You are a true inspiration and I will pray the Lord give you the JOY you seek and in my opinion deserve.
LOVE: ME :P
Wow! I appreciate you being so transparent. I have not heard of the word of the year, and think it is a great idea. Thank you for a beautiful, encouraging post.
In Him,
katrina
I really like the JOY acronym. I just wrote it on my dry erase board that sits in front of me on my desk.
Post a Comment