Monday, June 30, 2008

My Little Man

As a mother, I think I tend to dwell on my kiddo's negatives a lot. I know it's because I'm trying to help them work on them. I know I want to be a good mother. Sometimes there's just times when your children do something and you're like "WOW, that was a blessing!" You really see something come out of them that you tried to sow in to them. Make sense?

We had a time like this on this past Friday. My hubby of course was at the homeschool convention and I heard we were suppose to be getting bad storms. Well, at our house when there are bad storms coming we have to make sure the drain is cleaned off at the bottom of our basements steps that are outside.

When I checked the drain, it needed to be cleaned off and there was debris on the steps as well. That debris could cause us big problems by getting washed down the steps and onto the drain. Well, I did not want to do this nasty job.

I called John and told him that daddy was away and that I needed a job done that a man does and he was the only man home (maybe it helped that we've been reading Old Yeller aloud at night and the boy takes care of the farm while his daddy is away). I told him I needed the drain and steps cleaned off. He said, "Yes, ma'am." He did not complain. I was expecting a complaint about how nasty the drain was or etc. Not that John complains a lot, but these were the thoughts in my own head about that nasty drain.

John was cleaning and Gracie and I were watering the plants in the backyard. John called, "Mama, come look at what a good job I'm doing." I went over and boy had he been doing a good job. He was doing an excellent job. I told him to make sure to clean off the steps too and to be careful.

We went inside and John said, "Momma, you know how daddy works so hard and has lots of jobs to do? Well, since daddy has so much to do, I want to do this job all the time to help daddy."

This was such a blessing to me. I do tell the children about how hard daddy works and let's get this cleaned up or picked up for when daddy comes home. It was a blessing to see John show some initiative.

When, I told Amos, he was happy too. He also said let's see how he feels in the Fall.

I just wanted to share and also encourage other mommas, just hold on you'll reap what you sow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww that was so sweet- it made me cry (still crying lol). Hope to see you all soon.

Love,
Lisa

Dawne said...

Your blog looks beauuuu-tiful! :)

Jennifer said...

That's an encouraging story. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer in VA (FIAR)