Earlier this week, I determined that we were going to get outside and learn some more things about God's creation especially since we were having nice weather coming up. A couple months ago my mom had bought John some thing to attract hummingbirds and since it was winter time, we just saved them back. When I was trying to come up with something to do I remembered our hummingbird things. John found these things in his workboxes yesterday morning. So we started studying the hummingbird yesterday and then to my surprise in my e-mail today I got a post from Barb saying the next bird she was studying was the hummingbird.
Here John is looking at our Birds of Ohio book and listening to the accompanying CD. We learned the hummingbird doesn't have a call, but they mainly chat at each other.
Gracie bought this book with her own money about birds. We love it! We could hear the humming of their wings on this recording.
Above Gracie is trying to open the feeder and below John is adding water to the hummingbird mixture. When we're out of this, we'll try making out own. Some friends have told us that it's really easy.
Below John has scissors and yarn because the feeder wouldn't hang on our hook so we had to add yarn to it.
*Here is a page with facts about a hummingbird honoring the Lord as Creator
*You can find activities and puzzles about hummingbirds here
*We really liked these coloring pages. Just scroll down a bit until you see hummingbird.
*Here's some fun online coloring.
*Beautiful photos of all kinds of hummingbirds
*Here's a yummy looking recipe for a hummingbird cake. We haven't got to make it yet, but we will.
We are really hoping we'll see some hummingbirds at our feeder soon. Don't forget to head to Barb's blog for some other links. The children and I really enjoyed the video of the hummingbirds that she posted plus she'll give you ideas of other things to read to find out more about hummingbirds.




2 comments:
Welcome to the bird challenges! I love the first photo with your son and the new feeder...excellent!
You will have to let me know when you have a hummer visit. We have had some in our feeder in the last week and one buzzed our head this afternoon. :)
Great links too...thanks for sharing your study.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom
Thanks for the links! We have our feeder right outside Jack's window and we got a lot of visitors last summer. We will probably put ours out in a couple of weeks to kick off summer. : )
We have always made our own food--I just googled it and found lots of easy recipes.
Post a Comment