Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kathie Morrisey- My Convention Notes

We were able to attend the homeschool convention this past week and had a good time, but exhausting time as well. I would say the most influencial session for me was done by Kathie Morrissey. It wasn't that I've never heard some of these things. It was just this is what the Lord has really been working on my heart about for me and my children. The one thing I loved is that she kept talking about how much work it was and even how you have to die to self to do this. I feel like in life I struggle with the constant work and dying to the flesh. It's just nice to know that I'm normal.

The following notes are both mine and a sheet Kathie had available.

Training Character Into Your Children

How Kids Learn Character:
1. Example or social exposure-As parents we need to expose them to Godly role models and protect them from bad character
2. Discipline- Rather than looking at it as a disturbance, look at it as an opportunity to train in Godly character
3. Positive constructive teaching-We can't leave it to chance. We must have a plan.

Setting up a plan:
1. Start early with a lifestyle designed with purpose. What are we trying to accomplish? Set goals. If you aim at nothing;you'll hit it.
II Peter 1:5-8 says, "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2. Teach your kids to think God's thoughts-Memorize Scripture, sing Scripture, correct with Scripture and read God's Word.
3. Choose specific traits to focus on. I need to start on what's frustrating me the most.
4. Focus on that trait for a week (longer if needed).
5. Pray that you will exemplify this trait. Our kids become what we are.
6. Correct consistently with Scripture. Don't slack even when we're tired and discouraged. Say, "I know you love God and want to please Him, so we need to work on ________."
7. Measure and check progress. Our children then can see their progress and be encouraged.
8. Encourage often. This is very important. We need to encourage more than talking about the negative.
9. Don't expect everything at once. It's a process. It usually gets worse before it gets better. Why? The devil.
10. Keep yourself motivated, encouraged, and focused with good books and tapes.

That's the end of my notes. I did purchase two books from Kathie. I'm very excited about implementing them in our home. I've already been using Proverbs for Parenting and it's been a huge blessing already. I'll post about that later.

The two resources I got were: Proverbs for Parenting (scroll down some) and Character Building for Families, Volume 1.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked that session a lot, too. (BTW, I hadn't intended to be in that session, but went to another first. The speaker still wasn't there 10 minutes after it was supposed to start, so I left and went to this one.) Keep us posted on how that book Proverbs for Parenting is working for you. I really wanted to get it, but spent too much $$ on our math curriculum and lamplighter books.

Jodi

Leslie said...

What great notes and ideas. Thank you for sharing. I'm falling short in a lot of these areas and need to be more planful in what I'm doing in training. I appreciate this gentle reminder.

Blessings
Leslie